Chief Digital Officer
Salford City Council
Jon is CDO for the City of Salford leading an ambitious vision to position Salford as a truly Digital City across infrastructure, inclusivity, skills, enterprise, health and smart city integration. He will determine strategy, priorities, themes and investment areas that will make a difference to Salford’s economy and its collaborative digital role in Greater Manchester. Salford is racing to become one of the world’s most attractive cities for digital enterprise – in 2017 it surpassed London to become the UK’s leading city for percentage increase in start-up growth and is expected to have the fastest job increase rate in Greater Manchester. At the end of 2018 it will complete its 5G network across MediaCityUK.
3:25 pm - 3:55 pm
Panel: Digital Connectivity the key to service transformation: How IoT and 5G will shape the next generation of public Services
Theatre: Local Infrastructure
The Future Communications Challenge Group (FCCG)’s report suggests that UK leadership in 5G could result in the opportunity to create £173 billion of incremental UK GDP growth over a ten-year period from 2020 to 2030. The road to full fibre is paved with many challenges however the socio- economic rewards of a better-connected UK is within our reach and promises to deliver:
- A better place for and to do business/ Identify new markets and opportunities
- Measuring improvements in children’s attainment at school
- Increased access for elderly shows reduction of social isolation
- Digital skills improvements
- Reductions in unemployment and greater take-up of training opportunities
This session will consider:
- What is the new capability and what does it enable? Mutual hosting what does this mean?
- What is the scope for central and local Govt, regulator and industry collaboration?
- The public Sector as a major driver of 5G services
- 5G as an innovation enabler for public services in the city
- What regulation do we need to see change to facilitate change?
- Business rates for comms infrastructure
- Potential of harnessing existing infrastructure, e.g. Network Rail telecoms
- Next steps: How can we accelerate investment in high-capacity networks across the UK?
- The Public Service Pilots